Sweet rice is another Indian dessert that is also used as an offering in pooja. It is exactly as the name says, a sweet type of rice. The rice is boiled very soft, spiced and sweetened.
It is a very simple recipe and takes no time to make at all. It’s very creamy and has the consistency of porridge and yogurt having an illegitimate child. Rice pudding might be a better description.
This recipe comes from one of my dad’s aunts, it was handed down to my mom who is now sharing it with me and me, with all of you. Hope you guys enjoy!
- 1/2 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 tsp grated
- 1/2 pk ground elychee
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 stick cinnamon (whole spice)
- 1/2 tin condensed milk
- 1/2 pk evaporated milk
- 2-3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 pk sliced almonds
- Wash rice
- Cover rice with unsalted water and bring to a boil
- Peel and grate ginger
- When rice comes to rapid boil, add ginger
- Continue boiling rice until very soft, almost dissolving
- Add clove and cinnamon. Stir well on medium heat
- Use a hand immersion blender and give 2 pulses to rice
NB. You do not want to make a porridge, this is to break up the rice a little.
- Add elychee and almonds. Stir well
- To the mixture, add condensed milk, constantly turning the pot
- Add evaporated milk, stirring well
- Finally, add sugar and stir well
- Leave mixture on a low flame, turning constantly to allow mixture to thicken
- Serve in small bowls with a spoon