As promised I said I’d do a ‘bake and buljol’ recipe! Coconut bake has always been a favorite of mine. I love it with garlic butter on the ‘tahwah’ or with a slice of cheese ‘stick up’ and of course, its long standing romance with buljol.
The two were made to go hand in hand.
LifeHack: Coconut bake with garlic bread and corn soup is like a mini foodgasm in your mouth! Try it!
One note about my bake is that my dough came out a bit sticky (don’t worry I adjusted the recipe so that wouldn’t happen to yours but that’s mainly because I didn’t want to waste all that coconut milk. I just dunked all into my dough and well boy… Luckily it was still heavenly and baked well, but note to self and others, ‘It’s okay to cry over spilt milk’).
My kitchen smelled amazing!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 packet dried yeast
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 pack coconut milk powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- Grate coconut and set aside
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt
- Add yeast and sugar
- Cut in butter with hands until a cornmeal like texture is achieved
- Add grated coconut and mix in well
- Fill measuring cup with water to the the 1/2 cup mark and mix in one packet of coconut milk
- Gradually add coconut milk to dry ingredients
- Knead well
- Cover and let rest in a warm area for 30 mins (your dough will be a lot less sticky)
- I used a cake pan to get the round shape of the bake, pour dough into pan
- Paste top with water
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown