Surprise! Remember I said to save the Sorrel we strained when we made the drink? Well this is what I had in mind! People usually throw it away after straining but why waste all that spiced goodness?! With what has remained, you can make a quick and easy jam that’s a perfect present for Christmas.Believe me, it’s delicious! Most of the work was already done when we made the Sorrel. The longest process of this jam making was stirring it until I got the desired consistency which was nothing more than 45 minutes.
The best part of this jam? It has alcohol! You’re going to love seeing the change in texture from a complete liquid to an actual jam texture!
This jam is great with Crix or just by itself!
- Strained pulp from Sorrel drink (makes about 2 cups)
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup dark rum (you can go wild here and choose what you please)
- Strain liquid from Sorrel pulp
- Remove the spices (the clove, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and ginger) and add to blender (there was some liquid remaining in my pulp so I didn’t add water here but you may need to blend properly)
- Blend the Sorrel to a smooth consistency
- Transfer purée to a pot and add water, sugar,lemon juice and rum on a low flame
- Turn up flame and bring to a boil
- Lower flame and consistently stir until desired texture is obtained (this took about 45 minutes)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in jam containers